Need help with how to apply to law school? – “Personalized” Law School Personal Statement and Application consulting – with John Richardson – Author of: Law School Bound – How To Get Into Law School In Canada and the U.S. and primary teacher of the longest running LSAT prep courses in Toronto.
Alternatively, attend our live Law School Personal Statement workshop in Toronto.
Learn more about personalized, professional, and experienced Law School Personal Statement consulting with John Richardson.
Check out our new Personal Statement Blog:
The following is excerpted from www.prelaw.ca
“Part 8 – Personal Statements
Even though Ontario uses a common application form, different personal statements are required for different schools.
“GPA/LSAT figures may provide law schools with quick and handy ways to sort applicants into categories but it is often the personal statement that maes the difference in an admissions decision.”
– Pre-Law Advisors National Council
Principle 8 – Research the school. What kind of people are they looking for? Read the Dean’s message. How can I market myself specifically to this school?
How should a personal statement be composed? There is no rule, but what follows are some general thoughts:
A personal statement should:
- be about you
- ensure that general statements are backed up by specific facts or experiences
- show that you are a competent, well-rounded, positive and motivated person
- explain how significant events contributed to the development of your personality
- be interesting and tell a story
- explain why you are interested in that school and be directed to the requirements of that school
- be responsive to the precise question asked and the personality of the school
- have a theme or organizing principle
- explain jobs, activities and awards
- describe facts from which the reader will infer that you have certain qualities or attributes
- have a strong opening
- be well written
- use simple language
- have no typos or grammatical errors
- respect the directions concerning length
You will find the complete site at:
Richardson Personal Statement Workshops are held throughout the year.